Two images came to mind that I thought I'd try. I'm not sure. I like the straight-forward simplicity of the first one, the lack to image/metaphor, I thought, kept it focused. However, I really want you guys to see how difficult the revision process it. It can be truly exhuasting.
I still haven’t washed the window from which
You watched the birds throw their
seed from their feeder.
And I still can’t forget how
I hollered about how
there was nothing you could show me that I wanted to see.
Because I was cooking too.
I was dipped and coated in answer and insult--
I sizzled and popped with disgust after
They plucked every feather
like a stubborn flower petal until
I became a glossy fattened pig
on the dining room table,
apple-in-mouth, still squealing.
It made me question and hate
and spit and devour anything--
hungry and never done.
Still, you called for me to come and see.
If it wasn’t a quail, it was a hawk or a cat
that was reading one to bed.
But, there was one time I trudged barefoot
to the linoleum floor
where I watched you watch the birds
outside with creased concern.
I watched you call my name again.
I watched you start to cry
alone in our kitchen,
while I pretended not to see.
Wow! Your revisions are great! I like how you changed the quail, hawk, or cat reading one to bed. I think this one makes it easier for the reader to connect that the book is the bird that the cat opened like a book. I also like how you isolated the last line. It brings more emphasis to it. The only part I don't understand is the glossy-fatted pig stanza. Overall I think this one is GREAT!
ReplyDeleteI really liked these:
ReplyDeleteI watched you call my name again.
I watched you start to cry
alone in our kitchen,
while I pretended not to see.
I agree with Melody! The last line you isolated was very good!!!