Friday, February 24, 2012

My Mother's Kitchen


I still haven’t washed the window from which

You watched the birds throw their

seed from their feeder.



And I still can’t forget how

I hollered about how

there was nothing you could show me that I wanted to see.



Because dinner wasn’t the only thing that was cooking.

 I was dipped and coated in answer and insult--

I sizzled and popped with disgust.

It made me question and hate

and spit and devour anything.

My blood was glue that froze against the surface of

my skin and up my jaw and through my hands

where it’d pound and pound.

I never felt done.



Still, you called for me to come and see.

If it wasn’t a quail, it was a hawk or a cat

that was reading one like a book.



But, there was one time I trudged barefoot

to the linoleum floor

where I watched you watch the birds

outside with creased concern on your face.

 

I watched you call my name again.

I watched you start to cry

alone in our kitchen,

while I pretended not to see.

3 comments:

  1. I think I should start out by telling you how much I love this poem. I appreciate your attempt to make me cry, but I didn't. My jaw was wide open though! My favorite line is, "Dinner wasn't the only thing that was cooking." I think you separated each stanza perfectly too. You also did a great job of stating the relationship between the daughter/son and the mother. I feel so sorry for the mother in this poem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I did not cry, it was very sad. Opps I take that back a tear drop feel onto the keyboard. Still very sad. I can picture my self in this position in which the speaker is in. The speaker walks barefoot, which I like a lot, On the linoleum floor, I like that part as well. Shall I call you Ms. Anderson. I enjoyed the poem very much I personally wouldn't change anything. I hope you understood all my jokes, because I wasn't literal on the Ms. Anderson part. Love the poem, Mr. Gaunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the second and last stanzas. I can just feel the speaker's regret and inability to "let it go". Am I saying that right? The line that goes "alone in our kitchen" is a nice contrast to the title, and the next one, "while I pretended not to see" is just so... kjdlhsafkjshkdjfh. In other words, I really, really like this.

    ReplyDelete